Wednesday, June 4, 2014

book.

Day 1: I used to be a very worthwhile investment in education, society, and life in general. Now I sit on bookcases and never see the light of day. People complain of my weight, but I'm made out of paper! There's not exactly a lot I can do about my weight. I see those fancy e-readers and I can't help but worry for the future of humanity. They may think that digital is forever, but... it's not. Paper may be fragile, but it's physical. It's real. That is just a bunch of numbers floating around in space.

Day 2: Someone picked me up today. I got excited until I realized it was just to place me on some papers to prevent them from blowing off in the breeze. Why are we still using paper, but ignoring books? Talk about frustrating.

Day 3: Today I was used as a coaster. I now have a ring on my cover from the beverage. There's such a thing as respect, you should respect the books. Don't have to read us if you don't want to, but coasters were invented for that purpose. Not so you could use books as a replacement.

Day 4: I'm now sitting on a table with a 25 cent sticker on me. What a way to go, I had a retail value of $6.99 just 5 years ago! You might as well give me up for free, cause that's how you're making me feel. All I'm worth is a handful of candy from those dispensers at the mall. I'm done.

Day 5: Well, I was sold. Some old man bought me, now I'm sitting in a garage full of books. Isn't this wonderful? At least I'll die with others of my kind. I really thought that books would be timeless, that humans wouldn't tire of us so quickly. I was so hopeful when I was first printed. Thinking I'd bring entertainment and education to many people. We all have to give up our dreams someday I suppose. Mine just came a little sooner than I was expecting.

Day 1001: There hasn't been much to report. Though yesterday a young child came through the garage and looked at me. I saw joy in her eyes. She finally cared about what I had to say. This was a good day, though I don't expect it to ever happen again. Still, perhaps there is some hope out there for books like myself. I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment